The Overnight Awake Residential Counselor provides direct care to young parents and their children in one of YOU, Inc.’s 24-hour/7-day-a-week acute or congregate care settings. To this end, the Residential Counselor works as part of a shift of staff, led by a shift supervisor, all of whom are in a specific client to staff ratio, with the responsibility for creating and maintaining a therapeutic treatment milieu.
Residential Counselors are considered “essential employees” and as such may be mandated to work beyond their scheduled shifts in order to maintain client to staff ratios and/or be required to report to work during declared states of emergency.
The Residential Counselor insures the safety and supervision of youth, cultivates a therapeutic treatment milieu, maintains appropriate boundaries while developing supportive professional relationships with youth, participates in the upkeep and cleanliness of the facility, documents client care as required or directed, and if necessary, utilizes agency physical management interventions.
• Experience with youth required. Group experience with youth, preferred.
• Ability to compose oneself with professionalism, ethical practice, and compassionate regard for consumers/clients.
• Proof of a valid driver’s license, acceptable driving record, and personal transportation to fulfill essential job functions is required. As per Massachusetts state law, driving under the influence of any substance is against the law, prohibited, and may be grounds for immediate termination.
• Ability to adhere to agency ethical standards, and agency confidentiality and privacy practices.
• Ability to build rapport and work effectively with others.